Full-time MBA alumna, Neha Jaiswal, shares how the CareerPlus team supported her MBA journey, helping her to take the next step in her career.
Careers, Leadership & Development
As an Accelerator MBA participant, you’ll access tailored leadership and professional development support, all designed to meet the unique needs of you and your cohort. Through a range of interventions embedded in the course, you’ll drive your own careers, leadership, and development journey, focusing on what matters most to you at your current career stage.
As with the rest of the programme, support will be blended, with a balance of both in-person and online activities. Alongside a range of webinars and online resources, you'll have access to three different elements of 1-2-1 career support; three executive coaching sessions, unlimited career consultations and the option to join our award-winning mentoring programme.
And our career services don’t stop when you complete your programme. You will still be able to access online resources, career consultations and our Professional Interest Groups for free. You’ll also be able to participate in our career skills masterclasses and webinars on a pay as you go basis.
Where do WBS graduates work?
- American Express
- GE Healthcare
- J.P. Morgan
- Morgan Stanley
- Virgin Media
Careers services included in your MBA
Understanding your own leadership approach
To kickstart your thinking, at the start of the programme you’ll have the opportunity to engage with an elite level leadership tool, Spotlight. Through this tool you’ll identify and explore your own mindset and behavioural preferences, discuss your strengths (and how these can become weaknesses in the wrong context), develop tools to help you perform at your best, and learn new techniques to help you connect more effectively and improve your relationships.
The knowledge gained from the Spotlight tool will underpin other careers interventions throughout your programme and will be revisited during your Leadership Accelerator module, where we will explore how to lead high-performing teams and what leadership looks like in practice.
Develop your future leadership brand
To accelerate your career progression it is essential that you have time to focus on your leadership skills.
The Leadership Accelerator is a cutting-edge and innovative module that will provide you with a thought-provoking view of leadership and challenge your perception of what leadership is and where it comes from.
The module offers a special blend of in-depth experiential learning, along with the latest leadership research, personal reflection, group activities and real-world workplace applications to prompt you to reflect on your own leadership styles and practice. In so doing, the Leadership Accelerator module will help you develop your future leadership brand and achieve your career aspirations, whilst driving positive change in an increasingly complex and ambiguous business environment.
Your Leadership Accelerator experience is a journey that will help you focus on you. What you learn about your leadership ethos during this module will underpin the rest of your MBA. We’re all about supporting leaders who strive to use business as a power for good, so let’s develop your confidence, build your personal brand, and prepare you to take that next step.
1-2-1 coaching sessions
- Unlimited career consultations with our highly trained CareersPlus experts
- 3 x 1 hour sessions of Executive Coaching with an Executive Career Coach drawn from the WBS Coaching Panel, available at any time during the programme to suit your needs. You may also extend your coaching relationships by purchasing further sessions
What we can cover in our coaching sessions might surprise you, whilst we can of course focus on interview preparation or CV reviews, other areas of focus can include:
- Balancing the MBA with life
- Career confusion
- Challenging work environments
- Dealing with career change
- Job crafting
- Influence & visibility
- Salary negotiation
- Strategic networking
- Tapping into the hidden job market
- Utilising your Project & Dissertation
Embedded through the programme, our bite-sized workshops address a range of topics that matter to you. From self-reflection and understanding your own leadership approach, to working on your negotiation skills, all are designed to support in taking your career to the next level.
- Who am I?
- Taking It Up a Gear: Career Progression
- Connecting to Success
- Knowing Me, Knowing You
- Finding Your Voice: Personal Brand and Getting Noticed (For Promotion)
- Crafting a Sustainable Career
- Inter-cultural Awareness and the Power of Diversity
- Interview with Impact
- Salary Negotiation and More
- What Do You Mean? Clear Feedback and Effective Communication.
The Change Maker Series - Practitioner lectures provide an insight into different industries and give the opportunity to network with MBA students on other programme formats alongside your academic studies. Recent presenters include Chris Murray, UK Energy Sector CEO and Chairman of APX3 Ltd; Michael Kerr, Vice President of Aston Martin; Nick Eastwood, CEO of Wasps RFC; Louise Ainsworth, CEO UK of Kantar Millward Brown; Marc Barlow, Head of Strategic Marketing at GE Healthcare.
Embracing Diversity Series – Hear from industry experts sharing how they have successfully addressed the challenges of Embracing, Diversity & Inclusion across industries. Recent guest speakers have been: Director of Card & Payment Transformation - Barclays, CEO & Founder – WeAreTheCity, Founders – The Audax Generation and Group Vice President of Diversity & Inclusion – Valtech
Expert Panels – Danny Kerry - Performance & Leadership Consultant, Chris Meeking - CEO, Avtura, Susan Robson - Strategy Director, Women's Engineering Society, David Wetton - Founder & CEO, Spirit in Work, Maya Welford - DE&I Speaker, Podcast Hoster, Pete Lindsay – Co-Founder, Mindflick, Alistair Crawford?– Managing Consultant, Orchard Consulting
Alongside our live activity, you can also benefit from a wealth of online resources, hosted on my.wbs.
- Job postings
- WBS CareersPlus website packed with resources covering all aspects of career development
- MBA Careers Guide - an online and interactive bitesize careers course specifically designed for our MBA students
- Self-assessment psychometric tools
- Interview preparation
- CV feedback
- Pay negotiation video workshop
- Business journals and databases such as Marketline via the University of Warwick library.
Building your network
When you join the WBS community, you’ll gain access to a wealth of networking opportunities including preplanned networking sessions during your required modules, LinkedIn groups and our Professional Networks.
Recent Professional Network events include Demystifying Algorithmic Trading, Entrepreneurial Ideas – Take Them or Leave Them, Smart Buildings, and The Economic Power of Fintech – The Winners and the Losers.
Case competitions are a great opportunity to increase your exposure to leading companies, new sectors, industry specialists and other MBA students from around the world.
Previous MBA participants have represented WBS in a wide range of case competitions organised by leading business schools including:
- The Hult Challenge in London, San Francisco and Dubai
- The Nespresso Sustainability Challenge
- The McKinsey Business Challenge
- The RSM Private Equity Challenge
- The annual Financial Times MBA Quiz.
Additional career services
We’ve created a leadership and development programme that is both integrated and comprehensive but if you’d like to focus even further on your career, you can choose to access enhanced career services for an additional cost:
- Additional session with a coach from our WBS Coaching Panel. You can choose one session for £125, three sessions for £350 or a total of six sessions for £675
- A range of online interactive self-assessment tools
- One-to-one sector specialist consultations. Experts have experience in areas including consulting, marketing, manufacturing, engineering, entrepreneurship, banking and finance, SMEs, energy, leisure and retail, property management and construction, science and technology, education and social care, government, defence and security, utilities and pharmaceuticals. These are £125 per session
- Access to our award-winning WBS Global Mentoring Programme, which has been accredited by Investors in People (IIP). You’ll be mentored by WBS alum for a period of two years, either during or beyond your studies. The programme costs £345, and allows you to explore career options, workplace dilemmas and professional development challenges with someone who has already experienced similar situations
- Face-to-face masterclasses including Dealing with the Media, Salary Negotiation and Effective Business, to ensure you’re fully equipped to manage your career for the long-term.
Global Online MBA participant, Sumit Malhotra, explains the importance of developing a personal career strategy and how the WBS CareersPlus team helped him to manage the direction of his career.