The programme is delivered in four modules, each over four days at WBS London, so you don’t need to divert from your usual responsibilities at work. Upon successful completion you will be awarded a Postgraduate Diploma in Strategy & Innovation from the University of Warwick.
The four Strategy & Innovation modules build and develop new leadership thinking and transform strategic understanding over one year, with new learning immediately utilised in your own organisation between modules as well as through your final individual project.
While all of your modules will be taught within a one-year period, submission of your final assessed project and subsequent grading by our academic team can mean that the awarding of your Warwick Executive Diploma may extend beyond one year.
Each module is taught over four days at The Shard, typically from Wednesday to Saturday.
The final component of your Executive Diploma is the individual project. The project is completed and submitted after the four core modules, though you will begin developing ideas for your project from the outset, as it is intended to be an integrating focus for your learning across the whole Diploma.
You will be required to complete written assignments after each module, plus a further strategic project on completion of your module teaching. All assignments are designed to be directly related to your own organisational context and challenges. In order to gain the qualification of Postgraduate Diploma awarded by the University of Warwick, you will need to attend all four taught modules, and pass the assessment in each module and your project.
Learn the core tools and frameworks needed for developing an effective strategy in your organisation. This module delivers a practical guide to strategy, both for those new to the subject but also an update for those with experience.Full details
This module runs from 12 -15 September 2023.
You will focus on developing a detailed understanding of the strategic advantage concept and how it can be applied to your organisation. You will explore the key analytical concepts, frameworks and methods to use in setting a company's both shorter and long-term direction... The module will explore the integrated approach to business, understanding how distinct contributions that different functions and teams support the overall strategic intent. You will also develop understanding of strategic decision-making within the context of a VUCA world (Volatile, uncertain, complex and ambiguous), within which all organisations are now operating.
What will I learn?
- You will develop the core tools for building and applying strategies within your organisation
- You will understand the environment and industry factors that drive and limit options for your organisation
- You will be able to analyse the strategic positioning strategies of other organisations and how they can impact your strategy development
- You will develop an understanding of the role of strategy in business leadership and develop strategic thinking skills needed in leadership roles
- You will be able to understand how strategic decisions define the changes a company seeks to make to themselves and their market, developing an awareness of how environmental forces influence companies.
Entrepreneurship and innovation within your organisation helps to nurture the knowledge and creativity that can lead to product, process, service, or organisational change. In this module, you will develop the ability of your organisation to generate and pursue entrepreneurial opportunities, to maintain relevance.Full details
This module runs from 21 - 24 November 2023.
The survival and success of an organisation require an ability to reflect and adapt to a changing landscape. Innovation and entrepreneurship within your organisation help to nurture the knowledge and creativity that can lead to product, process, service, or organisational change.
In this module, you will develop the ability of your organisation to generate and pursue entrepreneurial opportunities, to maintain relevance. You will explore how your entrepreneurial capabilities link with many other factors such as strategy, organisational design, marketing and organisational behaviour. By understanding how these affect entrepreneurship and innovation, you will explore how you can effectively build the entrepreneurial capabilities of your organisation.
This interactive module utilises case studies and reflective exercises so that you can apply your learning to real-life contexts.
What will I learn?
- You will be able to identify areas for idea generation and innovation in your organisation
- You will build an understanding of the entrepreneurship process in established companies
- You will have an understanding of how to encourage innovation and entrepreneurship within your organisation.
Strategic choices explore the executive-decision making within organisations to support their growth strategy. Many elements affect strategic decisions and the impact of those decisions. In this module, you will be able to understand what needs to be considered when making strategic decisions.Full details
This module runs from 30 January - 2 February 2024.
Strategic choices explore the executive-decision making within organisations to support their growth strategy.
Many elements affect strategic decisions and the impact of those decisions. In this module, you will be able to explore what needs to be understood when making strategic decisions. You will explore the complex and dynamic context in which organisations must make their decisions and learn about the relevant strategic tools to guide them. This module covers key aspects such as mergers, acquisitions, and strategic finance. You will also develop an understanding of sustainability strategy, learning practical guidance on how your organisation can successfully navigate their particular ecosystems by mapping and understanding the strategic interests of key stakeholders.
What will I learn?
- You will have an understanding of the complex market and geographical opportunities, and be able to explore the opportunities for growth and risks to be considered when making strategic decisions.
- You will develop an understanding of merger and acquisition strategies, and how your organisation avoids significant risks.
- You will be able to identify key decisions in managing a global value change.
- Develop a stakeholder map, which will enable your organisation to evaluate the interests of key political and regulatory stakeholders.
- You will create a corporate responsibility strategy for your organisation.
Explore the challenges of implementing a strategy in an organisation, learn how to map out strategy implementation across an organisation, and look at the bigger context for understanding the change process.Full details
This module runs from 23 - 26 April 2024.
You may be able to identify strategic goals within your organisation, but have you reached them?
In this module, you will explore the challenges of implementing a strategy in an organisation. You will learn how to map out an implementation plan across an organisation, make sense of the broader change context and arrive at a set of actions to guide the process. The module also allows you to consider the challenges and effects of organisational change, providing tools and practical frameworks to enable you to lead change effectively. You will also consider the human element in implementing change and new strategies, looking at factors like decision-making and developing a culture of accountability.
What will I learn?
- You will learn how to identify and understand challenges to implementing strategies within your organisation.
- You will have an understanding of how to develop a strategy map that illustrates the different strategic initiatives of your organisation and how they related to each other.
- You will be able to design an effective strategy process and select relevant measurement tools to assess the success of a strategic initiative.
- You will look at strategy in a wider context, looking at how an organisation's structure and culture support the effective implementation of strategies.
- Peer networks and debate: Questioning, discussion and debate with a support network of peers as well as truly interactive relationships with teaching faculty
- Bespoke distance learning platform: Inter-modular support from the my.wbs platform, which is used to deliver our Distance learning MBA
- Guest speakers and practitioners: relevant and relate-able speakers from industry and practice will feature within each individual module
- Personal development and action learning: Utilising reflective practice, psychometric tools and analysis as well as learning through doing.
Learning in London, the financial capital of the world
Opened in June 2015 on the 17th floor of The Shard, WBS London houses a 100-seat lecture theatre and a smaller one at 80 seats, plus seminar rooms and space to network. In October 2017 we announced that WBS is expanding our London base to include the 13th floor, increasing our footprint at The Shard by 50 per cent.
The Shard is situated next to the London Bridge transport hub so getting to us from anywhere in London, the UK, and international locations, could not be easier.
This is a face-to-face programme, allowing you to benefit from meeting your fellow executives and our teaching team in person. However if circumstances prevent you from travelling, hybrid learning is an option. Please contact us to discuss this further.