Undergraduate careers coach, Giorgia, shares her advice on how to make the most of networking opportunities on campus.
Ila Kiddy, Placements Development Officer shares her advice on how to make the most of careers events taking place in Term 2.
Term 1 is behind us and what a jam-packed term it was! A nice relaxing fun Christmas break enjoyed by us all so now to focus and get ahead with 2023 with what Term 2 has in store.
First-year students will have now had a good taste of what WBS is all about with various events and workshops being held in term 1: autumn career fair, employer engagement presentations, various sector festivals, careers and placement drop-in clinics, and employer skills session workshops to name a few.
We kick start term 2 with our spring ‘Employer Engagement Day’ careers fair on Wednesday 15 February taking place in the main WBS ground floor foyer and first-floor atrium. Employers from various sectors, including SME companies will be invited to host a stand to help promote any live opportunities that they are still recruiting for to our Undergraduate and Master’s students. This will give you a great opportunity to get in front of employers and ask questions regarding the vacancies, placements, and the recruitment processes involved in that particular company, impress the recruitment staff present at the stand and get ahead of your competition!
Following the careers fair company presentations will take place from some of the big names to talk about the culture within their company, the vacancies on offer, offering top tips for the perfect application, discuss the assessment centre processes, and how you can prepare to make the most of the opportunity. There will be a Q&A session at the end of the presentation offering you the opportunity to engage and ask questions not covered. This event is not to be missed, especially if you are still looking to secure a placement for 2023-2024 or looking for graduate opportunities.
The Careers Coaches once again will be arranging a number of Work Shops running from January through to March, covering some of the current hot topics:
- Case study interviews
- Mock Assessment Centre
- Alternatives to Corporate jobs
- Postgraduate Study
- Networking practice for employer events
- Didn't get a spring week, what now?
Listen and learn from employers sharing first-hand tips on how to get the best out of the workshop session. Employers will talk about how they run their assessment centres, what to expect, and how to prepare. During these workshops, you will hear what employers observe during case study interviews, what you can do to stand out, and best practices. Picking up networking skills and seeing how these are a true benefit to you in progressing your placement/job search if you utilise what is on offer. Many of our current placement students managed to secure their placement by networking and using the resources available to them at WBS.
Other events we will be hosting this term include:
- PJT Partners is to host an employer event with first-year undergraduates on Tuesday 17 January from 18:00-19:15. PJT Partners will do an intro to financial restructuring followed by an overview of their interview process and preparation tips.
- L’Oreal will return to campus to WBS to run their ‘Lock-In as a fast track application exercise session’ with second-year undergraduates on Wednesday 18 January from 13:00-15:00.
- ‘Placement Year Information Session and Networking Event’ for first-year undergraduates will be held on Wednesday 1 March from 13:00-16:00. This event is geared mainly towards WBS undergraduate students who are not studying BSc International Management and are considering an optional placement year during 2023-24. The information session will offer you the opportunity to speak to relevant WBS staff and Placement Pros (WBS students who are currently out on placement or finalists who have already successfully undertaken a placement year).
You can also get in touch with our Undergraduate Careers team directly by emailing email@example.com if you’d like to find out more about any of the careers events mentioned above.