Our PhD students find work in top institutions right away, and their careers progress fast.
Many of our students secure postdoctoral fellowship, research, or faculty roles soon after graduation. In the last six years, 39 of our PhD students secured a postdoctoral position at Warwick Business School, with others offered positions in prestigious institutions such as Harvard, Pennsylvania, Princeton, Oxford Saïd, Cambridge Judge Business School, Copenhagen Business School, Lyon, Birmingham, Manchester and Cardiff.
Excellent postdoctoral placements require that high-quality outputs are developed during study. Our PhD students have had considerable success in publishing in peer-reviewed journals prior to, or just after, thesis submission. Outlets include the Journal of Management, Leadership Quarterly, Academy of Management Annals, Review of Financial Studies, Management Science, American Economic Review, Research Policy, Human Relations, and the Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology.
Placements in academic institutions in the past ten years include:
- University of Cambridge - Assistant Professor
- Cardiff University - Assistant Professor
- Copenhagen Business School - Assistant Professor
- Emylon Business School - Assistant Professor
- IPADE Business School - Professor
- University of Jordan - Assistant Professor
- Oxford University - Assistant Professor
- Queen's University Ontario - Assistant Professor
- Queensland University - Lecturer
- Sheffield University - Assistant Professor
- Warwick Business School - Associate Professor
- Zhejiang University - Assistant Professor
Careers support and coaching
We provide specialist training, and one-to-one careers mentoring from academics and professionals. Our CareersPlus Team will train you in how to publish your work in top journals, confidently present at conferences, and provide you with networking opportunities to ensure you meet experts in your field of research.
Become an expert
The research you undertake with us will make you an expert in your field. Our broad-based training includes opportunities for personal and professional academic development, to ensure you leave WBS well-equipped with all the skills you need to compete effectively in the job market.
You will have access to a comprehensive and structural training programme specifically tailored to meet the need of doctoral researchers, delivered through the University's Student Careers and Skills Service.
Our dedicated development co-ordinator will provide you training, mentoring, support and guidance to prepare you for teaching opportunities.